DAIS volunteers provide crucial, life-saving services to domestic violence survivors and their families. Your time and compassion will go a long way in providing support to those impacted by domestic violence in Dane County.
DAIS’ volunteer application process is currently closed while we onboard our current group of volunteers. If you are interested in supporting victims and survivors of domestic violence in Dan County by volunteering with DAIS, please complete this contact form. We will contact you when the application process is open again. Note: this application is best viewed in Chrome.
*Donations, Gardening and Reception/Front Desk Volunteer positions can start at any time.
CURRENT ONBOARDING TRAINING SCHEDULE:
*Both in-person sessions will be held at DAIS – 2102 Fordem Ave., Madison, WI
- June 3 (Saturday) | 9:00am – 5:00pm *IN PERSON*
- June 6, 7, 8 (T, W, Th) | 6:00pm – 9:00pm *Virtual*
- June 13, 14 (T, W) | 6:00pm – 9:00pm *Virtual*
- June 15 (Th) wrap-up | 6:00pm – 9:00pm “IN PERSON*
General New Advocate Training (NAT) Guidelines:
To volunteer with clients at DAIS, attendance for the full 26-hour New Advocate Training is required, as well as additional training sessions with your program-specific supervisor. Program-specific training schedules are set by the supervisors for each program and will take place after the general sessions are completed. Dates are listed within the application.
If you have any questions about volunteering, please contact email@example.com.
Volunteer Job Descriptions:
- Children’s Advocate: Our Children’s Advocacy program is currently full.
- Court Watch: Court Watch Volunteers observe court hearings on Wednesday mornings, 8:00am – 12:00pm. Volunteers must be able to commit to one 4-hour shift per week for a minimum of 6 months. Shifts take place at the courthouse downtown.
- Donation Room Volunteer: Our Donations program is currently full.
- Gardening Volunteer: Do you love to garden? DAIS needs volunteers to help keep our green spaces, flower beds, courtyard play area and serenity path weed free and beautiful for everyone. Please consider sharing your love and talent with DAIS! Note: this position is not required to attend the full 26-hour New Advocate Training, DAIS staff will discuss training with you.
- Help Line Advocate: Our Help Line program is currently full.
- Reception/Front Desk: Be the first friendly face our visitors and clients see when they come to DAIS. Offer a warm welcome and address general reception tasks. Available shifts are 4 hours (Monday – Friday), must be able to commit to one (or more) 4-hour shift per week. Minimum commitment of 3-months required.
- Shelter Chef: Volunteer Chefs work together to cook and serve dinner once a week to shelter clients and families in the DAIS Kitchen and Shelter, in addition to dishes and clean-up after dinner.
- Support Group Advocate: Support in our community is vital for survivors of domestic violence, allowing people with shared experiences to come together and support each other. Support Group Advocates must be able to facilitate a weekly group for a minimum of 1.5 years. Each support group is typically 1.5 hours long, once a week, and facilitators reserve a minimum of a half an hour before and after each group to prepare for and clean up after group.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with DAIS – we hope to work with you soon!