Applications are now closed while we on board our current group of client-based volunteers. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be contacted when applications reopen for June New Advocate Training.
As a volunteer, you have the opportunity to work directly with victims in crisis and their children. These positions require our 26-hour New Advocate Training — please click on your position of interest below to see the position description.
Please note: All volunteer opportunities take place on site at the DAIS Facility in Madison, WI
- Children’s Advocate: Children of all ages are involved in both structured and free play through the DAIS Children’s Program. Volunteers help lead group activities, as ll as assist individual children.
*No longer accepting applications for February New Advocate Training.*
- Help Line Advocate: Volunteers are trained to answer the 24-hour DAIS Crisis/Help Line. Calls from survivors, concerned family and friends, other health/service professionals, and staff from other organizations are typical. *No longer accepting applications for February New Advocate Training.*
- Security Operations Advocate: Provide safety and security at the secondary entrance to DAIS, customer service, direct service to clients and clerical support.
Client-Based Volunteer Requirements:
Because client-based volunteers work directly with our clients, a vulnerable population that we often see in crisis situations, there is a thorough 26-hour New Advocate Training program required prior to working in those positions to prepare you for your role.
- Complete the online volunteer application.
- The Volunteer Coordinator will be in contact with you to set up an interview with yourself and the coordinator in charge of the program you are interested in and to answer any questions.
- With your permission, DAIS will conduct a criminal background check and contact 3 references.
- You will meet with the Program Coordinator for an interview.
- All new volunteers must attend the next DAIS New Advocate Training session and complete additional program-specific training and observations.
The dates for our February New Advocate Training session are:
Saturday, February 4th – 9:00am-5:00pm
Tuesday, February 7th – 6:00pm-9:00pm
Wednesday, February 8th – 6:00pm-9:00pm
Thursday, February 9th – 6:00pm-9:00pm
Tuesday, February 14th – 6:00pm-9:00pm
Wednesday, February 15th – 6:00pm-9:00pm
Thursday, February 16th – 6:00pm-9:00pm
Program Specific Trainings are:
Please note: Volunteers are eligible for Program Specific Trainings
after completion of New Advocate Training.
Saturday, February 18: 9am-1pm
Tuesday, February 21: 6-9pm
Wednesday, February 22: 6-9pm
Saturday, February 18: 1-4pm