As a volunteer, you have the opportunity to work directly with victims in crisis and their children. These positions require our 26-hour New Advocate Training — please click on your position of interest below to see the position description.
- Bilingual Support Group Advocate: Advocates facilitate a weekly Spanish-speaking support group called Growing Together. Advocates provide support, community referrals, referrals to other DAIS services, and safety tips through facilitation of groups. This group meets weekly on Thursdays from 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm.
- Children’s Advocate: Children of all ages are involved in both structured and free play through the DAIS Children’s Program. Volunteers help lead group activities, as ll as assist individual children.
*Looking for volunteers to fill Mondays (9:30 am – 11:00 am), Thursdays (12:00 pm – 1:30 pm), Fridays (12:00 pm – 1:30 pm) and weekends.*
- Community Response Advocate: Advocates provide immediate, face-to-face crisis intervention, safety planning, support, information and referrals to victims of domestic abuse at DAIS and other various community partnership locations. Currently, weekend Community Response Advocates are needed most.
- Help Line Advocate: Volunteers are trained to answer the 24-hour DAIS Crisis/Help Line. Calls from survivors, concerned family and friends, other health/service professionals, and staff from other organizations are typical.
*Looking for volunteers Monday – Friday from 11:00 am – 2:30 pm and 2:15 pm – 5:45 pm; Weekends from 8:00 am – 11:15 am, 11:00 am – 2:30 pm, and 2:15 pm – 5:45 pm; and weekends and weekdays from 8:00 pm – 12:00 am.*
- Security Operations Avocate: Provide safety and security at the secondary entrance to DAIS, customer service, direct service to clients and clerical support.
*Looking for weekends 1st and 2nd shift availability.*
Client-Based Volunteer Requirements:
Because client-based volunteers work directly with our clients, a vulnerable population that we often see in crisis situations, there is a thorough 26-hour New Advocate Training program required prior to working in those positions to prepare you for your role.
- Complete the online volunteer application.
- The Volunteer Coordinator will be in contact with you to set up an interview with yourself and the coordinator in charge of the program you are interested in and to answer any questions.
- With your permission, DAIS will conduct a criminal background check and contact 3 references.
- You will meet with the Program Coordinator for an interview.
- All new volunteers must attend the next DAIS New Advocate Training session and complete additional program-specific training and observations.
The dates for our June New Advocate Training session are:
*Volunteers must attend all New Advocate Training sessions to participate*
Saturday, June 10th – 9:00am-5:00pm
Tuesday, June 13th – 6:00pm-9:00pm
Wednesday, June 14th – 6:00pm-9:00pm
Thursday, June 15th – 6:00pm-9:00pm
Tuesday, June 20th – 6:00pm-9:00pm
Wednesday, June 21st – 6:00pm-9:00pm
Thursday, June 22nd – 6:00pm-9:00pm
Help Line & Security Advocates:
Saturday, June 24th – 9am-1pm
Tuesday, June 27th – 6-9pm
Thursday, June 29th – 6-9pm
Saturday, June 24th – 9am-Noon
Monday, June 26th – 6-9pm
Tuesday, June 28th – 6-9pm
Will schedule with volunteers
Back to top